Finally. Something to bring to the Big Game party that won't require push-up timeouts or laps around the couch during the commercials.
Something that's lean, green, and clean. A fan favorite. An all-around winner.
If you've exhausted the art of plain veggie trays, or someone else stole this job from you—this is your recipe! If you're trying to (mostly) stick to your New Year's diet—this is your recipe! If you want to try to trick other Super bowl party attendees into eating more greenery—this is your recipe!
It might just be the only way you'll ever eat broccoli again.
PALEO, WHOLE30, LOW CARB, KETO
prep time: 25 mins
recommended sit time: 4+ hours or overnight (as it sits, it softens + flavor soaks)
makes: 6-8 cups
This recipe is pretty forgiving, so feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your taste + needs.
- BROCCOLI, 2 large heads (and stalks!)
- ONION, 1-2
- RAISINS, 1/2 - 1 cup
- HEALTHY MAYO, 1 cup - avocado-based or our fav home recipe
- VINEGAR, 1/4 cup - you can use a combo of vinegar + lemon juice if you'd like
- SEA SALT, 1/2 - 1 tsp
- BACON, 1 package
- WALNUTS, 1 cup (or sunflower seeds, but we like walnuts)
- Fry BACON 'till crispy. Dry by placing strips on a paper-towel lined pan/plate and keeping in freezer until right before serving (this keeps it extra crispy!).
- While bacon is frying, dice ONION.
- Chop BROCCOLI florets/stalks into edible chunks (go small with the stalks, if using).
- Combine chopped ONION and BROCCOLI with RAISINS in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by whisking together MAYO and VINEGAR.
- Pour the MAYO-VINEGAR dressing over ONION/BROCCOLI/ RAISIN mixture. Stir well.
- Salt. Stir mixture again.
- Cover mixture and place in fridge.
Just before serving: Stir mixture well. Crumble BACON.
You may wish to place BACON and WALNUTS in their own small, side bowls. (To keep them from getting soggy and allow guests to add the amount they like). Or, stir BACON and WALNUTS into mixture.